Your Complete Guide to Floodlights
What are floodlights?
Just as the name suggests, floodlights are a broad-beamed, high intensity form of lighting that literally flood the surrounding area with light.
Where are floodlights used?
Floodlights are one of the most powerful forms of lighting, and are used for many different purposes, such as:
Outdoor sports arenas benefit particularly from floodlighting, as it is often necessary for sporting events to be carried out in the evenings or in low light conditions. Therefore, it is imperative that there is sufficient high quality artificial lighting to substitute natural daylight. Floodlights also allow the event to be successfully televised, as it is vital that lighting levels are high enough to meet broadcast quality levels.
Concerts and plays also benefit from floodlighting, as the beam of light can be directed where needed. This is particularly important at outdoor events.
The powerful beam emitted from floodlights also makes it a useful tool for search and rescue operations, as the beam can be directed to scour wide areas from a distance.
Homes and offices benefit from floodlighting as a security measure as they can be an effective deterrent to burglars. Sometimes these lights can be sensor operated and only illuminate if a trespasser enters the area, alternatively, they can remain on, which is often the case in public car parks, to ensure that the area is highly lit at all times.
What are the different types of floodlights?
There are several different types of floodlights, including:
As technology has evolved, the development of LED floodlights has brought about a new way of creating maximum intensity lighting that also is cost effective to run and environmentally friendly. Whilst the above forms of floodlight are still in use, there has been a huge leaning towards using LED lights for floodlight purposes.
What are the benefits of LED floodlights?
The differences between the traditional floodlights and the newer LED lights highlight that, in the majority of situations, LED floodlights are the better option.
Here is a breakdown of the benefits:
- LED bulbs have a very long life.
- LED lighting is eco-friendly, as it uses less electricity.
- LED lights naturally emit an extremely bright light.
- LED light can be directed specifically, rather than just creating a pool of light.
Extremely long life
- An LED light can last significantly longer than all other kinds of bulbs.
- An LED floodlight will last up to 50,000 hours which is a huge improvement on the traditional halogen light.
- Because LED floodlights last longer they will obviously need replacing less, making them an economical option.
- LED bulbs use less electricity, which, as well as being cost effective means less harm to the environment.
- You will need fewer bulbs to illuminate a large area, due to their brightness, again saving on energy.
- LED lights are the most effective form of lighting in terms of producing an extremely bright, crisp light.
- As each bulb emits such a bright light you will therefore need less of them to achieve a sufficient brightness.
- At Lamp Shop Online we stock Ultra Slim LED flood lights in a range of wattages which come in a cool white 6000 kelvins.
- LED floodlights are particularly useful for big applications like stadiums and arenas as LED bulbs can direct light in a specific direction.
- LED floodlights are just as durable as any other type of floodlights.
- They come in durable IP65 rated aluminium weatherproof housing to withstand all kinds of outdoor environments and conditions.
LED lights may appear expensive, as the initial cost of the bulb may be more than other types of bulbs. However, the long-term savings can offer payback within 1 – 2 years. This is for the following reasons:
- Long lasting bulbs
- Reduced electricity usage
- Brighter light means fewer bulbs
How are floodlights best positioned?
A floodlight for all purposes
Whilst we naturally associate floodlights with huge sports arenas, they are available in many different sizes and offer different levels of power accordingly. Floodlights can also be used as temporary solutions, which enables smaller sports clubs to use them as and when necessary. This makes them an accessible, cost effective and environmentally friendly option for many environments.