How to Install a Fluorescent Tube
The following is a comprehensive guide to installing your new fluorescent tube. In this article you will find:
- A step-by-step guide to installing a fluorescent tube.
- Safety tips along the way.
- Pictures and a visual guide so you can see exactly what you need to do.
- A video to guide you through the process.
- Further help and advice for Fluorescent Tubes.
- Links to advice for upgrading to LED.
Safe Installation – Step-by-Step
1. Turn off power to the fitting.
Avoid direct contact with the fitting and anything that is earthed.
2. Use two hands to support the tube either end, then twist the tube so the lamp holders rotate roughly 180°.
You can typically hear a click when this happens.
Once you've done this, you then should be able to lift out the old tube.
Figure 1: Example of a lamp holder
Tip: Make sure the lamp holider is lined up vertically for easy removal (See figfure 1).
3. Check that the fitting is not burn or darkened.
If the fitting is burnt or darkened contact an electrician as the fitting may be fualty.
4. Place the old tube carefully out of the way so that you don't risk stepping on it or smashing it.
You will need to take the old tube and dispose of it correctly.
5. Take the new tube, hold it with both hands at either end without touching the pins.
6. Line up the pins with ballast so that they can slot in easily.
7. Slot the tubes into the fitting.
In Need of a Fluourescent Tube replacement?
Or you can click here to browse our full range of Fluourescent Tubes.
8. Twist the tube roughly 180° until it clicks and locks.
Video Guide on Changing Fluourescent Tubes
Further Help & Advice
- Easy fixes for slow to start, flickering or faulty fluorescent tubes.
- The complete guide to ballasts for fluorescent lights.
- How to Replace Fluorescent Lighting (WikiHow).
- How to Replace a Fluorescent Light Bulb (Family Handyman).
- Or you can use the chat box in the bottom left or call 0113 887 6270 to speak to one of our team.
Have you considered upgrading to LEDs?
Why Shop With Lampshoponline?
Top Brands Only
|We only stock the best brands on the market and bring these to you at great prices with bulk discounts available for trade and larger home orders.|
|Purchase as many or as few as you wish with savings when you buy in bulk. Amazon for example may require you to buy in bulk which may not be practical given the wide range of colour temperature, IP rating and beam angle differences around the home.|
|We carry large stocks at all times.|
Delivery & Returns
Free delivery over £65.
30-day returns policy.
|We have over 10,000 customer reviews and are rated Excellent. 90% of our customers recommend us.|
|Our warehouse and entire customer service team is located in Yorkshire.|
|We are renowned for our excellence in product packing meaning your bulbs arrive in perfect condition.|
Great Shopping Experience
|We invest heavily in our shopping experience. We constantly ask for feedback from our customers to help us improve our store experience.|
Choose How to Pay
|We accept Credit & Debit Cards, Paypal, American Express and Amazon Pay.|
Trade Account Terms
|We offer specific trade accounts for larger clients.|
|Our team are highly trained specialists and can answer most lighting questions.|
Delivery & Returns
- Orders above £65 - free delivery.
- Bulk purchasing options apply to many products listed in our GU10 ranges.
- Royal Mail Tracked 2nd Class - £3.32 + VAT
- Royal Mail Tracked 1st Class - £4.99 + VAT
- Orders with items over 2ft long have a mandatory cost of £7.49 + VAT (Unless the value is over £65.00 + Vat).
If you're not happy with your purchase you can return items to us within 30 days of receiving your order providing the goods are unused. To return your items, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number and we will send a returns number and return instructions to you.
LampShopOnline take pride in looking after our customers and endeavor to reply to every query. It can take up to 48 hours for a reply, however we typically respond within a couple of hours Monday to Fridays.
CONTACT US DIRECTLY AT
Tel: 0113 8876270